These policies are intended to support an atmosphere conducive to study and research. Policies protect library users, the collection, and the facility and are aligned with the mission of Indiana Tech. New or updated policies are at the discretion of the library director.
Conduct Policy in the Library
The following Conduct Policy in the Library aims to ensure a library environment that fully supports the mission of McMillen Library and the Indiana Institute of Technology. McMillen Library users are entitled to a clean and safe environment that is conducive to learning, socializing, and the free exchange of information, as well as access to library resources and courteous assistance from library staff.
In return patrons are obligated to abide by the following policies:
Library users are expected to comply with all local, state, and federal laws as well as the Indiana Institute of Technology “Student Conduct Policy”. Please be aware that surveillance cameras record entry to both floors of the library and the spaces within the library.
- All users must possess and display a current Indiana Tech ID card to borrow materials. Users are responsible for all items checked out with their Indiana Tech ID card.
- Currently enrolled students, as well as currently employed faculty and staff, may register for a statewide Academic Libraries of Indiana Reciprocal Borrowing Card. Please inquire about this service at the McMillen Library.
- Community users including alumni and those enrolled in Indiana Tech-affiliated programs will need to contact the library director for special borrowing privileges.
Circulation/Use of Materials
Reserve, reference, print magazines, print newspapers, and print journals DO NOT circulate. Materials placed on reserve will be in compliance with U.S. Copyright Law. All students, faculty, and staff may request items not owned by McMillen Library through our free Interlibrary Loan Service. The loan period is determined by the lending library.
Circulation Privileges are as follows:
Students: three weeks with the option for two renewals
Faculty: six weeks with the option for limited renewals
Staff: six weeks with the option for two renewals
Library Billing and Lost/Damaged Fees:
- McMillen Library bills users for items that patrons fail to return. If such an item belongs to another institution, the patron is responsible for replacing the item or paying for its value, plus any fees associated with the lost item, such as a processing fee. In many cases, patrons are allowed to purchase a replacement copy, which ends up costing them less.
- Failure to pay fees for unreturned, lost, or damaged items will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges. The library will charge your university account along with the cost of the item(s) and a $20.00 processing fee for each item. The Business Office will hold all grades, transcripts, and diplomas until the fee is paid.
- Online databases, electronic books, and other digital information are provided to assist library users in their legitimate pursuits of education and research.
- Only students, faculty, and staff of Indiana Tech have access to subscription databases and electronic books. Our licenses and contractual agreements with vendors prohibit the use to all others including alumni and community users/visitors.
Access to McMillen Library
Any currently enrolled student at Indiana Tech is eligible for a Student ID card, which can be obtained from the Security Office in Andorfer Commons. Online students must complete the CPS Student ID Requst Form. The University issued ID card allows the student access to the physical McMillen Library, library computers, and printers.
All currently enrolled students are issued a campus username and password. This is the same login a student uses to access Blackboard. The username and password will also grant students access to McMillen Library’s online databases and eBooks.